25.3.10

A sip of lunar

mouth open to the moon
crater ice pure as vice
greeted me with crescent smile
a comet arrived to lay claims
on the wet lunar plains
I was left to drink off the dirt pond
in the murky icicles crystals shone
I balled them in my fist
and saw a future in stone
the winds were strong
I clutched at the falling sky
flailing my hands
the moon pulled me back
a fine layer of film had formed in its eyes
the tears were mine

~FV

This is inspired by a news report regarding new research that reveals moon water has three flavours:

“So far we’ve found three types of moon water,” said Paul Spudis of the Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston, Texas. “We have Mini-SAR’s thick lenses of nearly pure crater ice, LCROSS’s fluffy mix of ice crystals and dirt, and M-cube’s thin layer that comes and goes all across the surface of the moon”.

Some pure water appears to have been deposited on the lunar surface (perhaps by passing comets). Some appears to have formed under the surface, mixing with lunar material. And the rest appears to have been formed on the surface through interactions with the solar wind.

6 comments:

  1. Hi FV, Good catch. Note that the fellow who is handing out the food is not wearing gloves!! His hands are obviously pristine and bacteria-free. There are infinitely more harmful bacterial spores floating in the open air, and using alcohol to wipe one's hand is completely redundant and is not likely to make the consumer of the food item any safer against "bad germs".

    ReplyDelete
  2. FV, Nicely done -- still working on all the shades of meanings in the verses :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al -1:

    Ah, I did not think about the vendor's gloveless hands. Since your refer to alcohol, perhaps one must just take a swig of the sanitiser before a meal.

    PS:You posted this at the wrong place. But then perhaps poems are not germ-free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al-2:

    There is only one verse, but if you have seen worses, then I'd like to get the shady stuff please :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Ah, I did not think about the vendor's gloveless hands. Since your refer to alcohol, perhaps one must just take a swig of the sanitiser before a meal."

    Usually it is better to just take a shot of hard liquor after a suspicious-looking meal, if the intent is to sanitize the food after it has gone into your body. It has to be done shortly after consuming the ger(a)m-masala though, else it may be ineffective.

    "But then perhaps poems are not germ-free."

    Perhaps you are right. I recall writing back in 6th standard what was referred to by the headmeaster as a "extremely dirty poem" -- I am sure it was crawling with germs since my biology teacher took one look at the poem and started screaming about how dirty it was. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the advice; I thought lining the stomach was a good deal.

    Perhaps you are right. I recall writing back in 6th standard what was referred to by the headmeaster as a "extremely dirty poem" -- I am sure it was crawling with germs since my biology teacher took one look at the poem and started screaming about how dirty it was.

    Why was your biology teacher looking at a poem? If s/he did, then why were you not informed about goof germs and probiotics?

    Next time, offer your works to a lit crit.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.