15.7.13

Wayward Thoughts: The Telegram

Why is it that only when something leaves we take notice? It was RIP the telegram in India after 163 years. In keeping with the subject, I’ll keep it short.

‘Mother ill. Urgent. Come soon.’

This, I was told, was sent to my khaala (maternal aunt) and my healthy, glowing, eyes-blazing Nani was put in the indisposed category. I don’t know how it worked, but my aunt unfailingly managed to get a visa to make the journey from Karachi to Mumbai. 

Five words. Covered distances.

3 comments:

  1. FV, actually, telegrams did not have the fullstop symbol. The word "stop" was used to denote the full stop (don't think this changed ever). So your message would be

    "Mother Ill Stop Urgent Stop come soon stop"

    Now I'll stop stop

    -Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al:

    Clearly, I have never sent a telegram. But the period symbol looks better here. Matter of aesthetics!

    RA:

    Who said it only brought bad news? Unless visitors are bad news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. " But the period symbol looks better here. Matter of aesthetics! "

    FV, Taking poetic license with a telegram! But that's normal in FVland, I suppose. :)

    -Al

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.