6.12.15

The colours of a black day


Why do I not forget, they ask year after year, revealing that they do not forget either. They know, though, that my remembrance is bloody — tangible and plausible. Theirs is salt on wounds.

People need homes; gods do not. People killed bothers me; a place of worship does not. Not unless it is meant to trample on others. Then it becomes about people. That worries me.

It worries me that to become popular they live in denial or choose to forget. Intolerance, the buzzword, is not about today. It was there yesterday too, and unless you weren't born then or old enough for it to register, you lie each time you talk about how it was never that bad.

Hate is not of degree. Hate is real, whether it kills or not. Hate comes in subtle forms too. Perhaps it is not hate. I hope it is not.

One day

Was at dinner with an acquaintance. A warm relationship we've shared. She used to be in the service sector and I her client. We continued to keep in touch. So, as the starters were served, she asked about the person who replaced her and whether he kept me updated regularly. I said he did and was prompt with feedback.

"I guess it's because you are also a Muslim..." she said.

Surprised, I told her, "We got along better, so how does this matter?"

"No, I just thought this Muslim-Muslim thing makes it easier." And then she intoned his full name aloud, something I do not know and there was no need for, a full name that probably made his yuppie modern name less secular and fit into her idea of what he should be.

This was a month ago. I still cannot believe this conversation took place.

Another day

Met a woman through a friend. Her clothes were bohemian, and from what I gathered she lived on her own terms. We were having an interesting conversation and I do not know when the Muslim word came in. I don't do Muslim things, not because not doing them makes a point, but because that is the way I am.

But this person, who I had met minutes ago, who knew nothing about me, said, "Oh, so you don't believe in this Shia-Sunni nonsense?"

"I don't, and many don't," I just about managed.

My friend said nothing. She watched and smiled.

It was awkward. If I had offered a rebuttal, I would be accused of being touchy or, heaven knows, even A Muslim After All.

Would it not look ridiculous if I had responded with, "So, do you believe in this Brahmin-Shudra thing? Untouchability? Dalits?"

I did not say it not only because it would look stupid, if not vicious, but because it does not matter. I do not recall ever asking anybody anything about their beliefs or lack of it, in a social or personal setting. I say this with confidence because I think it would be a cheap and vulgar thing to do.

Does that stop many people from doing so? They look perfectly normal at parties, clubs, restaurants, cinema halls, shopping malls. Yet, they carry set images that they use as flashcards when they meet you. "Oh, hello. What do you think about jihad?"

And you want to shout out loud, but that would only be an answer for them. Yes, you shout, so you must believe in jihad.

Ironically, both of them work in a Muslim country, a country where they party, wear what they want, eat what they want, drink what they want. The least that place ought to have taught them would be to dust the cobwebs gathered in their minds.

There's dust everywhere. Today, the one-day wonders of social concern a commemorating it as December 6 Black Day. The darkness is in souls, but it isn't black.

It wasn't black in 1992.

It was orange. Flames. Burnt homes, bodies singed.

It was blue. Tarpaulin sheets. Lost homes in twilight.

It was white. Smoke from fires. Cloth over bodies. The tears were white too.

5 comments:

  1. Farzana,

    I can only echo Manish and Circle's sentiments in response to your prior post. You are who you are. :)

    Today, I see where the president of Liberty University has come out, encouraging "students, staff and faculty at the Christian school to carry concealed weapons on campus to counter any possible armed attack like the mass shooting in San Bernadino, California." Apparently Falwell Jr., son of the late Rev. Jerry Falwell (founder and past president of the "Christian school"), has been carrying a .25-caliber handgun in his back pocket for the past year or so.

    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/05/liberty-university-president-san-bernardino-shooting-concealed-weapons-carry-muslims

    I'm not sure what sort of "counter" a .25-caliber handgun would pose against the kind of firepower reported as having been wielded at San Bernadino -- however, armed followers? Well, that's another matter altogether. :)

    You wrote:

    >>Hate is not of degree. Hate is real, whether it kills or not. Hate comes in subtle forms too. Perhaps it is not hate. I hope it is not.<<

    Your hope may not be in vain. I rather suspect it's fear. We hate that. Perhaps your acquaintance was scared for her job -- your friend's acquaintance, perhaps that she'd be thought uninformed?

    >> I do not recall ever asking anybody anything about their beliefs or lack of it, in a social or personal setting. I say this with confidence because I think it would be a cheap and vulgar thing to do.<<

    A decidedly good thing, Farzana, for your friend's acquaintance. :)

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. These made me smile in complete understanding: "It was awkward. If I had offered a rebuttal, I would be accused of being touchy or, heaven knows, even A Muslim After All." and "And you want to shout out loud, but that would only be an answer for them. Yes, you shout, so you must believe in jihad." The imagery you ended with was picasso like (blue period) in my mind. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FV
    We're going through a turbulence era on the mother Earth,time is rough, people are no more humans, tribalization at it's peak with mediaeval civilization at it's worst. Cults of butchers wiping off other people with their brutal animal instincts roaming all over just to quench their blood thirst through their hunting.
    Each cult hates other but they don't butcher each other, they butcher those who are neither cultish nor hateful just to scare each other.
    These brutal and barbaric cults are in competition with each other in who will wipe off more innocent people from the Earth quickly.
    We are going through the dark times on the Earth where people like you , millions others and I happen to be here being victimized from all these cults sometimes in subdued manner, other times by beheading or being shot or bombed.

    The question is who are they? And who are you and I?
    Answer is simple, they are vampires with no humanity left but ironically using this WORD each moment while ending the humanity at the expense of humanity.
    And we are the actual functioning humans carrying extinct humanity to save our dying Mother, Earth.
    Only one thing for us, keep calm and carry on to combat these cults.
    Hope you feel well!
    Circle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark:

    My acquaintance had quit her job for better prospects, so it wasn't fear for her job. As re the other person, how ill-informed can one be if you selectively use certain newsy phrases?

    "A decidedly good thing, Farzana, for your friend's acquaintance. :)"

    I certainly have more firepower than a .25-caliber handgun!

    And thank you for your kind words...

    ---

    Meriam:

    I love you, too.

    "The imagery you ended with was picasso like (blue period) in my mind."

    And as he said, "Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

    Today the colour is grey. Like rains that have gone away.

    ---

    Circle:

    You've said it all, especially this:

    "The question is who are they? And who are you and I?
    Answer is simple, they are vampires with no humanity left but ironically using this WORD each moment while ending the humanity at the expense of humanity."

    And using humanity. I'm not too sure what the word means anymore, and from where these vampires come.

    What do we save if saviours too turn out to be predators?

    ReplyDelete
  5. FV
    These cults once were just disguised saviors of humanity, now they are all predators openly and proudly. Gone are those days when they were hiding themselves from People like you, some others and I.
    Now we knowingly got to absorb their repetitive predatory carnivorous instincts and actions, because we are stuck with no choice left but to be silent for our own defense. Gone are the days when our words were our healers, now our words would be the end of ourselves.
    We are supposed to be silent even if we see their cultish wolfish and predacious attacks, this is the new global order as commanded by these cults which are arising from all the directions regardless.
    If there is a supreme being somewhere, then he or she must be crying and laughing both at these rapacious vulturous serpentine cults which are ending humanity in his or her name regardless of using it as God, Allah, Ram, Messiah, Ashoka etc etc to butcher humans like you and I.
    TC
    Circle

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.