29.12.05

Eh, so I should be luvin' it?

I do not like discussing work-oriented subjects here. But it has been a couple of months of an amazing peep into human nature.

Everytime I wrote earlier too there would be a horde descending on me, but at least even the personal attacks then were because they did not like my views. Now...I don't think you need to do much psychological research to figure out motives.

Was meeting D after years. It wasn't even a meeting. Bumped into him on my way to the doc the other day. He stopped the car, looked uncertain, and then broke into the familiar grin. He was as always well-dressed, but he had decided to do away with the "corporate shit". This one was a biggie in one of those agencies that figure out where to position what. He lived mostly overseas.

There was no time to talk, so he called today.

I was telling him about what I was doing...and since he is not into my kind of thing, I had to explain. The website,. the plans, the writing, the reactions.

"Aha," he said...

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that you come in as something and people start discussing it?"

"Yes...I mean it is strange..."

"Are you sure it is not being managed?"

"By whom?"

"By your website?"

"You are crazy! These are independent voices, often just making a noise...doing it on their own."

"So you are getting all this mileage for nothing? Without shelling out a single penny?"

"Mileage? This is plain stupid..."

"Woman, do you know how much agencies pay to get themselves written about? Do you know they use strategy to create envy, anger, competitiveness, possessiveness because these get reactions? And you are getting them for free!"

"But work does not mean..."

"Is this stopping your work? Are you not managing? Are you not doing what you like? Are you not having fun?"

"Oh, all that is happening.."

"Then lie back and enjoy."

I am not the lying back and enjoy kind. I am a risky-rider.

If we listened to our intellect, we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go into business, because we'd be too cynical. Well, that's nonsense. You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build wings on the way down.
Annie Dillard

2 comments:

  1. First of all I think it takes anyone a lot of courage to put forth harsh honest words as a writer. And for women it takes twice the courage because women writers are attacked much more viciously then are men. You may find this link an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi:

    Thanks for the comment and the link...it started me off...and another blog is born...it is up there now!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.