7.11.08

The Bharat Ratna for Bhimsen Joshi

The Bharat Ratna, always mired in controversy, has this time gone to Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, a bit late in the day. My knowledge of classical Hindustani and Carnatic music is limited. Instinct takes me to it or away; not all of Panditji’s singing attracted me; there seemed to be a straining of the voice, but then he could go on for hours.
I think of him as a technician, and I know connoisseurs will be at my throat for saying this. I have been touched beyond belief by Kumar Gandharva, Ustad Amir Khan, Siddheshwari Devi, M.S.Subbulakshmi…and Balamurli Krishna.
This is an occasion to felicitate Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, but I have chosen this jugalbandi. Both are Bharat’s ratnas
Pt Bhimsen Joshi & Dr Balamurali Krishna - Raag Yaman Kalyan

3 comments:

  1. FV:

    Whatever it is, it sounds impressive -- with a deep baritone voice. Congratulations for the Bharat Ratna to Pandit ji.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was also nice but I like his bhairvi more

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS:

    Yes, have been listening to it several times...also like the gracious exchange between the two. Unlike some of our divas...

    KB:

    Bhairavi is a morning raga and I like to start my day with something less deep sounding...perhaps Hariprasad Chaurasia?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.